Oh well oh well, this is a genre I haven’t seen in a while! If you are a fan of escape-the-maze puzzle games, or if you are into couch gaming or arcade stuff, then buckle up, because RedDeerGames has the perfect game for you! It’s called Cyber protocol and it absolutely blew me away!
What we liked!
- Difficulty: At the start of Cyber protocol, you get some classic introduction puzzles, which explain some of the generics, force you to be actually timing stuff, but the further you progress, the harder it gets. Which, on first sight, seems rather normal, but it ramps up QUICKLY! I was able to rush through some levels, but near the half way in the game, I was truly scratching my head, and calculating my next moves! So if that is what gets you in games, then this is really something for you!
- Music: Cyber protocol comes pre paired with a nice set of tunes that give levels a unique feeling. It’s not too disturbing, and mixed with the sound effects, it does set a nice mood! The music feels like it was pulled from a 1990 arcade machine, which brings back memories. This goes paired with the fact that the whole screen has a sort of halo that emulates those arcades.
- Amount of levels: This game brings a whopping 100 levels to the table! For a light couch puzzle game, this is an amazing amount of puzzle fun! Also, considering the fact that this does support remote play, and is playable on the switch, I do see this as an amazing extra!
- Couch gaming / split screen: The game supports local arcade play! Which means you can grab 2 controllers, link up that PC to your TV, or grab your ultra-wide out of the closet, and you are ready for a nail biting 1v1 arcade! Best part about this? You might lose the 1v1 on the level, but you can set a new high score, which your friend will be seeing till he beats it as well!
- Scaling: If you have a screen that has a bigger than a 16:9, then get ready for a set of black bars. To be fair, it would be a little bit broken, since you would be able to see the path ahead more clear. And part of the game is about remembering how a certain level goes, if you want to pass it without dying.
What we disliked
- Honestly, didn’t find anything too note worthy to be down pointed here.
I can’t do anything else but recommend this game. It’s well polished, nail biting, and time consuming on a whole new level. You get hooked in no time, and you just want to try levels again and again, just to get a better score. It’s a feeling I haven’t had in a long time, and also hard to describe. But if you like retro arcade stuff, and you like puzzles? Or if you want to see who is the smarter kid in the room, then this game is really something for you.
Founder | Editor-in-chief | Social Media Manager
Gaming is a passion and I wanted to share my Xbox enthusiasm. That’s why I started LifeisXbox, to make sure gamers all around the world know what games they should buy or avoid. I would like to thank you for visiting my website. Your support is very welcome and I hope you stick around!