After Devespresso Games’ latest release last year, Vambrace: Cold Soul (you can read our PC review here), we are treated to some new stuff in 2020. The Korean development studio released something similar to their first game, The Coma: Cutting Glass. After releasing a renewed version of this game in 2018, they have now released the sequel, The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters. Of course, this game is, again, a story-driven Korean survival horror-adventure. Luckily for me, who had never heard of Cutting Glass, the new game can be played on its own.
What we liked!
- Graphics: A horror game can stand or fall with its graphics. Luckily, The Coma 2 nailed the graphics. The hand-drawn cartoon look that the game offers is one of the ways it manages to keep you invested. The comic strips are actually pleasant to watch and fit in with the in-game visuals perfectly. I took a quick look at the original game, and I must conclude that the graphics were upgraded in a great way.
- Atmosphere: Besides graphics, the atmosphere is very important in a survival-horror game, obviously. Even though the game isn’t (always) that scary, the atmosphere created throughout the whole gameplay is just perfect. The abandoned high school, the dark hallways, and fitting music, it all makes sense. Of course, there is barely any light and the walls are sometimes covered in all kinds of weird stuff, like tentacles or branches.
- Tough: The gameplay is tough, but also rewarding; a good balance was found between these two. If I’m being honest, I don’t usually play these kinds of games, so maybe it’s just me that’s finding this game difficult. Anyway, if you’re having a hard time playing The Coma 2, just know you won’t be in a pickle too long. You can finish the game in about 4 to 6 hours so no worries!
- Basic: In its core, there isn’t really anything too new or groundbreaking about The Coma 2, making this a pretty basic game. Not that this a bad thing, of course. As long as a game is enjoyable and manages to catch the attention of the player, the game has succeeded.
What we disliked
- Nothing: I honestly didn’t dislike anything about this game. It’s not my kind of game, but still, I couldn’t find anything really wrong.
The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters is a fine horror-survival game that allows you to spend a few hours behind your computer. The gloomy atmosphere and beautifully hand-drawn graphics are the main strong points that will immediately catch your attention. The challenging puzzles and various cues ensure an interesting story-driven adventure. Your heart might skip a beat a few times, surely when you’re not convinced you’ll be able to hide in that closet in time!