If you are into fighting games, the same was as I am, then buckle up! GameMill Entertainment came out with their long-awaited Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Sage Continues! And with buckle up, I am stating it relatively lightly! This game got me hyped up. I was expecting a Tekken like vibe but was happily proven wrong. But why do I sound this optimistic about a 40 Dollar fighting game? Let me tell you all about that!
What we liked!
- Fighting sequence: Cobra Kai just feels smooth; that would be my TLDR. That being said: here is the full rundown. While you are fighting your way through numerous enemies, you find yourself in a pinch while playing a single character. Luckily the further you progress, the more of your fighting team you unlock. You can play as 8 different characters! Each of your characters will have their own skill and can be summoned mid-battle. This leaves you in the best part of the whole game: fighting as 3 characters at the same time! You do an entire fighting combo. While your combo meter stays up, you summon your other party member and continue that combo! This results in a unique experience like no other! Smooth and entertaining to play.
- Multiple characters: As briefly touched on above, you can play as various characters during your playthrough. Besides the apparent fighting variation, the best part about this is that you can decide what to play the most. By this, I mean that you collect coins during the fighting scenes to upgrade multiple abilities in a skill tree. This allows for an explosive mix of damage and fun!
- Difficulty: The game is noob friendly, especially when you have it on normal difficulty. Yet, it brings the more challenging parts down in the game. With the boss fights being harder than the regular levels, you will feel the difference. Yet, it doesn’t feel overwhelming, which put me off in different games in the genre. So a big plus on the developer’s part! Like really! Finally, I found a fighting game, which I can recommend to some of my coworkers who never played the genre! While knowing I can be comfortable with the idea that they will probably not be overwhelmed!
- Story: The main storyline is quite alright when it comes down to the idea. But if you have never seen the Cobra series, there isn’t that much to the story. You fight “skeleton” enemies, and not too much gets explained as to why you would be fighting them. I can see the obvious resemblance to the series shown in the trailers for the game on the Microsoft Store, but that’s kinda where it ends. There is no full story that feels cohesive throughout the game. Which put me off.
- Graphics: The graphics are, to state it lightly, simple. The game feels and looks simple. Each enemy has details to them, but they feel like they were ripped straight from an Xbox One S or similar low-end model. I was hoping for something more detailed for the price point, but some half cartoonish vibe going on with the game makes me think it was intentional. Overall, the graphics that were put in place are appreciatable yet straightforward.
What we disliked
- 3D relativeness: While you progress throughout levels, you will notice that it is shaped in a 3D space. This means you can move up and down, and also back and forth. This was terribly implemented. I found myself hitting thin air more often than I would have liked, and even walking around some pathways felt unnatural at best. This can definitely use some work, and with some love from the developer, this could become a huge plus. Still, for now, it’s bothersome on multiple occasions.
LifeisXbox.eu is the largest Belgian Xbox centered website, your reading time is greatly appreciated! Please consider sharing this review with your friends on social media, that means a lot for us! If you are Dutch speaking also consider joining our Dutch exclusive Facebook group Xbox Gamers Belgium.
Founder | Editor-in-chief | Social Media Manager
Gaming is a passion and I wanted to share my Xbox enthusiasm. That’s why I started LifeisXbox, to make sure gamers all around the world know what games they should buy or avoid. I would like to thank you for visiting my website. Your support is very welcome and I hope you stick around!