At the start of June, the developers of Terminist Arcade released their brand new game Guns of Midnight. In this game it’s your goal to escape the city within the given time limit of 10 minutes. When we take a first look at the game, it reminds us of an old school arcade shooter/platformer. But is this the truth? Or does the game hold more secrets for us? Well, Terminist Arcade sure is happy with their new title so let’s give it a try and see if we can make it out of the city.
- Time limit: A great aspect of the game is that it’s all based on the 12-minute time limit. You have 10 minutes to complete the game and escape from the city. It really adds a whole new dimension to the game, since you not only have to watch out for obstacles and enemies, but you will also need to keep in mind the time and hurry a bit. The developers definitely made the right choice with this!
- Vibe: The graphics and overall sound of the game assist in giving the whole arcade shooter/platform vibe. This makes it feel like you are back in the good old days of arcade gaming. And I´m 100% sure a lot of you will agree with me on this.
- Fun: So, when I take a look at all the aspects that are in the game, the developers sure came up with a fun and exciting game. The race against the clock, the arcade vibe, killing enemies and overcoming obstacles. It all makes the game fun and really enjoyable to play.
- One life: When you are playing the game for the first couple of times, it can be really hard and you will probably die a lot. Now, this isn’t a big issue and I’m sure we all have been there. But in the majority of games, you will have a couple of lives so it doesn’t really matter if you lose one since you can just continue. This isn’t the case in Guns of Midnight. When you die, and you will a lot of times, it is game over and you have to begin from the start again. This is also where my opinion gets divided. On one side, it’s more challenging, which makes the game even better. But on the other hand, it can be really frustrating and makes you want to quit the game. So I leave it to you to decide which side you choose.
- Short: If I have to name one bad thing about Guns of Midnight, I can’t really think of one that’s particularly bad. But if I really need to mention one thing, it’s that the game is kind of short. Like, I’ve mentioned before that the game is fun to play and has a great old school platformer/arcade shooter vibe and it’s so sad that it’s just one level. In the future, I would love to see that they add more levels or something because the developers over at Terminist Arcade made a small masterpiece. So, is it really a bad thing that the game is so short? Yes and no.
Guns of Midnight is an exciting game to play. It isn’t big, well actually it’s really short but still, it’s fun! It takes you back to the good old days of arcade gaming. All the aspects that the developers have mixed together work, which adds extra dimensions to the game. For a price of only €2.39, it’s a game you need to check out!
Developer: Terminist Arcade Publisher: Terminist Arcade
Played on: PC
Perfect for: If you love arcade shooters
Steam game store link: Click here