LifeisXbox’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge review | I had to fight another review colleague to be able to review this game. I guess I won. 😀 When I heard about the new TNMT game and saw the artwork for the first time, the little arcade kid in me got exited. I have played the older games in the arcades and I have them still have the original ones at home for the Nintendo NES. (See pic) Those were really hard to play. I haven’t been able to finish them ever. They are on another level. As you probably know by now, I’m an 80’s kid. I watched the morning cartoons and also watched the TMNT. I still enjoyed them today. So, this game is created by Nickelodeon. I first thought that this was from a new TNMT-show they are broadcasting, but I couldn’t find any information about this. This is a new game in the old-school side scroller style, you had in the arcades and it is really fun to play. I will elaborate more below about my findings.
ℹ️ Reviewed on Xbox Series X | Review code provided by PR/publisher, this review is the personal opinion of the writer.
What we Liked!
- Co-op Mode | I must say, I never expected this to be a 6-player co-op game. I first played the game solo, to get a good feel for it. When my friends came online, I created a public party. The game party was populated fast and in no time, we were playing with 4 other players. In my opinion, if you are with more player, it should add more enemies or make them a bit harder to beat. In all fairness, there are 3 difficulty modes, I tried the lowest and de normal mode. Maybe with more people it should be set to the hardest difficulty?
- Art style | I loved the art style. It looks super retro, but it feels crisp. The really enjoyed looking at Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, Splinter and April. Even the “BAD” Guys where all a lovely site to look at. I really love Bee-Bop and Rocksteady. They added some new bad guys that I didn’t knew. Maybe I missed a season as a kid and that’s why I didn’t know them? The negative about the art was Splinter in my opinion. If you said to me that he looked like Goofy or a kangaroo or even a dingo. I wouldn’t blame you. The in-game character was fine, but the still art was bad in my eyes. This is my personal opinion, for you it might be just fine.
- Music | The music was what it is supposed to be. Loud and pepping you up to play. The tracks were really fun to listen and went with really well with the level you where playing. A lot a references left and right to the original TNMT.
- Longer gameplay | Maybe over time they will add a new adventure or couple off little levels. The good part was, that every level was called an episode and it felt like it to, which was really nice. The downside maybe, I finished the game in 3 hours playing solo on normal mode. Maybe I’m to used of playing games with longer stories. I have playing Elden Ring now for 2 months straight and I’m on my 3rd play through with a 100% of all findings and side quests. So, take this with a grain of salt.
- Voice acting | I was a bit disappointed with the voices in the game. None of them came close the original TMNT. It’s my personal opinion, it doesn’t make it bad, but they should have tried to get closer to the OG.
What we Disliked
- Yaaay nothing!
Please consider supporting us!