Kon’nichiwa everyone! Today we will be looking at Natsuki Chronicles! Natsuki Chronicles is an anime-style shoot m’ up with arcade vibes, developed by Qute and published by Rising Star Games. It doesn’t matter if you are a full-on weeb or just enjoy some anime every now and then; you will love what they have done with Natsuki Chronicles. Just like me!
We played Natsuki Chronicles for 4 hours on PC.
What we liked!
- Shoot EVERYTHING! | YES, EVERYTHING! I love this style of game where I can just murder everything and go full mental. Natsuki Chronicles is also a very colorful and beautiful game. You get different locations on every level and the backgrounds are very pretty. Enemies will of course shoot at you and that will first give you a signal where they are shooting with a red beam. Then there is a colorful bullet coming your way. And most of the time it’s not one, but A LOT of bullets, haha. Bullet-hell vibes sometimes.
- Weeb mode | You must think what do I mean with weeb mode? Well, during the entire game, they speak Japanese! I absolutely adored this. I watched an ok amount of anime so far and it was like jumping into one and actually playing the anime! I do have one complaint though, but I will put that in the didn’t like part of this review.
- Guns n’ shields | In Natsuki Chronicles, they put quite some effort into the weapons I think. You have your front weapons and back weapons, and then your special ability. All have quite a few choices. Homing beams, lasers, grenades, front shield, vertical shield, it’s all there. And on some levels, you will find out that having a certain weapon or shield will make a big difference.
- Cutscenes | Oh and now everything comes together! Beautiful scenes with Japanese voices, oh my god! And the intro of the game was jaw-dropping for me. Just open the game and be amazed! I can only say: Watashi wa sore ga sukidatta. ( “I liked it”. )
- Music | The music is so hype. I loved it. It’s old school arcade music with a hint of Mario kart. I don’t know why it reminded me of Mario kart but it did… YAHO!
- Too hard? | This game has a great progression system. Every game you play, if you make it to the end or not, you get exp and money. But you also gain points to earn extra shield. (Bottom left in the screenshot below). So if you are stuck just redo a mission or keep trying with new guns or specials on the current level and you will keep getting further.
- I don’t have anything that fits here.
What we disliked
- I don’t actually understand Japanese | Yes I loved the Japanese they speak in Natsuki Chronicles. And you can read what they say in english in the top right of your screen but I think I’ve died more trying to follow the story then anything else in this game. I can’t read and dodge lots of bullets…
LifeisXbox.eu is the largest Belgian Xbox centered website, your reading time is greatly appreciated! Please consider sharing this review with your friends on social media, that means a lot for us! If you are Dutch speaking also consider joining our Dutch exclusive Facebook group Xbox Gamers Belgium. Feel free to use quotes for PR purposes.
Hello, My name is Michelle, and I’m 26 years old. I’ve been gaming as long as I can remember and love to go into fantasy worlds with a great story. Recently discovered shooters as well. Even tho my aim is not the best I still find it fun. I really hope I can help you find the best games.