LifeisXbox’s Legend of Keepers review | Yes! Legend of Keepers is back but this time it’s a review! In October of 2020, we have already done a preview of this game and I was rather positive about it. And I can give you a slight spoiler: I still am. If you have no idea what Legend of Keepers is: it’s a turn-based dungeon crawler, developed and published by Goblinz Publishing. But it isn’t your everyday dungeon crawler either! In Legend of Keepers, you are the bad guy! You have to defend your dungeon from heroes! Can you defend your treasure?
We played Legend of keepers for 8 hours on PC. This game is also available on the Nintendo Switch.
What we liked!
- Base-game | I will explain the base game here, so if you have read the preview you might wanna skip it, but there are changes since early access! Legend of Keepers is, as mentioned above, not your everyday dungeon crawler. You have to defend against the heroes you would usually play yourself. I loved to be on the defending part for a change. You start the game by playing the tutorial if you choose to, and after you will start act I with your first master. There are three acts for every master and there are three masters in the base game. Your first day will be a defense against champions. When you are defending there are multiple rooms. Some are for your monsters, some are for traps, and the last one is your master him/herself. If your master dies, you lose. And after that first defend, every day brings something different. An event, more champions, black market, raiding. But on the last day of your defend, there are extra hard champions, and if you defeat them, you can proceed with the next act. After defeating act 3 of any master you unlock the ascension and unlimited mode, which gives endless replayability!
- The pixels n’ stuff | Yes, the pixels! Legend of Keepers has beautiful pixel art and is nicely animated as well. Every attack looks flued and some even look so pretty that I was like oooh I’m definitely going to level this monster! The backgrounds can be different each encounter of heroes: a normal dungeon or a temple, and those backgrounds have little moving parts, or for example, when you give a buff to your allies in the next room, you will see the wind sweep through the map. It’s all very well done and it’s a pleasure to look at. But also to listen to, the music is nice and the fighting sounds exceptionally well.
- Diversity | In my preview I mentioned all I could really ask for were new monsters and/or champions. Guess what?! They added more, which in their own turn add way more depth to the game. For example, there are these little hedgehog-looking things that get a thorns buff if they attack something with a certain debuff. Thorns will damage whoever attacks that target by a certain amount and is completely new for me in this game. So I based an entire run around this and it was so much fun! Love my little hedgehogs.
- Humour | There is some quite funny stuff in this game. I mentioned this in my preview as well but it’s just really nice in my opinion. They always talk about us humans in a funny way and some events will definitely make you smile. You have seen a sexually tinted magazine going around between your minions; it has pictures of humans! What do you want to do? Take it away? Or leave it? haha.
- Noob mode | Well, to be honest… I’m not very good at these kinda games. But no worries if it’s the same for you! You can completely customize the difficulty in this game (screenshot below.) As you can see you can just click easy, medium, or hard mode, or customize it yourself by sliding the bars to the left. I started on normal but after 3 hours of dying and retrying I had to switch too easy mode. But hey, games are here for fun, no shame in playing on easy mode!
- I liked everything about Legend of Keepers and have nothing to complain about except… That one thing down below.
What we disliked
- Got stuck | Legend of Keepers does everything it wants to do and does it well. But I did get stuck and had to restart once. Apparently, if you play with those hedgehog-like creators and a certain hero kills himself by the thorns debuff, the game will not continue. It will get stuck on that hero’s turn. This was easily fixed by pressing escape and going back to the menu.
How long to beat the story | 10+ hours
How long to achieve 1000G | 12+ hours
Similar with | Darkest Dungeon, Slay the Spire, Dungeon Keeper.
LifeisXbox.eu is the largest Belgian Xbox centered website, your reading time is greatly appreciated! Please consider sharing this review with your friends on social media, that means a lot for us! If you are Dutch speaking also consider joining our Dutch exclusive Facebook group Xbox Gamers Belgium. Feel free to use quotes for PR purposes.
Hello, My name is Michelle, and I’m 26 years old. I’ve been gaming as long as I can remember and love to go into fantasy worlds with a great story. Recently discovered shooters as well. Even tho my aim is not the best I still find it fun. I really hope I can help you find the best games.