“The game made me feel like I was playing an animated movie or was reading the comic” | Hello folks, it has been a while. I wanted to review this game because Asterix and Obelix are one of my childhood heroes. I have all the original comics at home. (I call them ‘bandes dessinéés, because I’m a fluent French speaker). As a kid I used to read them all the time. I saw all the animated movies in French. My favorite animated film is “The Twelve Tasks of Asterix “(French “Les Douze Travaux d’Astérix”) and life action adaptation “Mission Cleopatra”, which I watched a douzen of times and still enjoy very much to this day. I saw this as an opportunity to plunge back to my childlike self. This side scroller game did not let me down. I had a lovely time playing it. I will tell you all about it, in this article.
I would like to take you on adventure. Let me talk to you about some famous Gauls.
The year is 50 BC. Gaul is entirely occupied by the Romans. Well, not entirely… One small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the Roman legionaries who garrison the fortified camps of Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Compendium…
ℹ️ Reviewed on Xbox Series X | Review code provided by PR/publisher, this review is the personal opinion of the writer. Got unanswered questions about this game? Get in touch on X!
|Mr Nutz Studio
That person in the right below corner will never be the same.
Things I liked!
- Graphics | This was a feast for my eyes. It is just like you are reading the comics or if you were watching one of the movies. Everything was spot on. I had some issues in the beginning of the game on the first 2 levels, but after that the issue of the character being a little to opaque was gone. It was strange. The playable characters Asterix and Obelix, especially Obelix, was like 30% transparent for some reason. After that, it never came back again. All visual effects are what you expect from seeing Asterix and Obelix adventure. Also, the creators gave you a little exploring left and right on several maps. It’s not a usual thing on side scrollers, but this was a great little bonus. The world around them is just like in the comic books. If you know the comics, you will feel right at home.
- Story | The game made me feel like I was playing an animated movie or was reading the comic. This was really enjoyable. I must admit, it was a pretty long story. You are still able to finish the game in 4.5 hours on normal. I would say that in expert mode, it will be a little longer. Asterix & Obelix Slap Them All! 2 really took me on an adventure!
- Voices of the characters | Because I’m weird, I played the game in French. I must say that, as far as I can tell, the voicing was great. I heard Asterix and Obelix, like I always did. Also, the other characters had the correct voice in my ears. This made really enjoy the game even more. I guess for the English voice acting, I have no idea how they sound like in English.
- Fighting | The battles in the game a fun to play. I was able to get a 224 combo, which made want to try a beat the previous record score. You will need to make a choice which fighter character you want to play with. Asterix is fast and nimble, but not very strong. On the other side you have Obelix. He is strong, but slower in movement. The only thing that was weird for me is to use areal kick attacks with both, because they never used it anywhere else but in game. Anyway, all the movements feel snappy, made sure you have an enjoyable gameplay. Also their ultimate moves are funny and powerful. You will need to beat enough enemies to fill the power bar until you can activate it. The cool part is you can fill it up and swap characters in game. So, you can use 2 ultimate moves.
Who’s going to win this throwing contest?
Neither good nor bad
- Cooperative play | While the game might be missing the online multiplayer magic and a bit of competitive spice, the joy of teaming up with Asterix and Obelix for a local co-op adventure is an experience that transcends these minor quirks. So, grab your controllers, gather your fellow Gauls, and let the laughter-filled quests begin – just don’t forget to keep an imaginary scoreboard for that friendly competition!
Why did Asterix and Obelix bring a spider to their village? Because they wanted to add a little “spin” to their adventures in Gaul!
Things I disliked!
- Nothing worth mentioning | It is rare but I had no issues with Asterix & Obelix Slap Them All! 2. No crashes to the dashboard, no dislikes what so ever. My sentiments about this game are entirely authentic.
How long did I play the review before publishing? 6 hours
How long to beat the story? 5 hours
How many Achievements did I earn before publishing? 940 Gamerscore
How long to achieve 1000G | Below 10 hours
You’ll love this game if you like these | Battletoads – Streets of Rage 4
87/100 ⭐| Asterix & Obelix Slap Them All! 2 is a fun little game. The kids will definitely enjoy this. Or adults who have a love for beat ‘m up games. I will see you all at the banquet in the Gaul village for a feast!