Paranautical Activity, hearing the name makes you instantly curious about playing the game. While the graphics and roguelike gameplay won’t be for everyone, it has a specific charm that I really appreciate.
- Moving from one random room to another is really satisfying, you never know what to expect and that gives you that unwrapping a gift feeling.
- Floating whales and weird looking devils, the enemy design and variation is well done. Especially the bosses have a scary and impressive look.
- The soundtrack gets your blood pumped and fits perfectly with the action on screen.
- Four starting characters. Each with different stats and weapons, making sure that every character plays differently.
- Getting to know each and every powerup is a fun experience. After a while you know what you should take or avoid at all cost.
- Most of the time the game is too dark, a few more light sources would have been nice.
- I absolutely hated the complete darkness level, what an unfair and annoying random event.
- Not all weapons are useful and fun to use.
- Some kind of story or explained reason why things happen would have been welcome
Score: 72% | Over the past months we had a few roguelike games on Xbox One, while Paranautical Activity doesn’t bring anything original, it is a fun and challenging game. It has a few flaws but nothing major, so it’s surely a worthy purchase if you love the genre.