Fashion Police Squad review | Just for a few minutes think about how our popular shooters would look if we didn’t shoot the enemies to hell. Gears of War didn’t have its signature chainsaw kills, Halo didn’t have its Spartan laser to blow enemies up and DOOM didn’t have its double shotgun for devastating headshots. Instead, we used weapons to fix the clothing of the Locust, Covenant or demons. That idea came to life with Fashion Police Squad! A game from Mopeful Games, published by No More Robots.
|Publisher||No More Robots|
ℹ️ Reviewed on Xbox Series X | Review code provided by PR/publisher, this review is the personal opinion of the writer. Got unanswered questions about this game? Get in touch on Twitter!
What we Liked!
- Genuinely fun shooting gameplay | Enemies hurt you with fashion crimes, like wearing socks with sandals. Fixing those crimes is done by shooting the enemies with the right kind of weapon. A few examples: the shotgun brings more colour, the machine gun can stitch clothing and the water gun removes too much neon. An original idea that is nicely executed in a typical retro-styled FPS. You are forced to constantly switch your weapon as only one of the few weapons can fix the tailor issue. It becomes pure mayhem when all kinds of different types of fashion crimes occur, making it slightly challenging for the player.
- Belt of Justice | If things get too much you can trust your belt to stun enemies, or defeat a specific type of enemy that can only be fashion fixed by melee attacks. What really makes this belt stand out is its platforming abilities. You can move fast-paced around the levels by using the belt as a grappling hook. Jumping from the building terrace to the building ceiling like a less-skilled Spider-Man. All with a simple press of the L1 button. Each of the levels has lots of secrets to find too, the Belt of Justice is your primary solution for finding them!
- Soothing audio | Each level has its own jam. Nothing super catchy but I loved pretty much everything about Fashion Police Squad’s sound. From nice and funny sound effects when you fix a fashion crime to the catwalk moment after each level. This is a real feel-good game with colourful visuals and lovely warm music and sound effects.
- Fashionable visuals that get a bit repetitive | Fashion Police Squad is a colourful shooter, although a bit basic in level design. One part of the repetitive issue is that assets are constantly re-used, a fine example is the building below with the Burger Fling advertisement. It is meant to be inspired by older retro games and they surely did a good job with that, especially the 2D fashion disasters that bring a lot of personality to the game visuals. But seeing the same enemies over and over again doesn’t help with the repetitive environment visuals.
What we Disliked
- Switching weapons | In the earlier levels you won’t be having this issue at all, enemies are nicely introduced but things take a dark turn when they start to mix all the possible enemies. You will be required to switch your guns every few seconds and there is hardly any real easy way of doing that. The weapon selection wheel is the real fashion crime! It doesn’t help that attacking the enemies blurred together isn’t the easiest thing either.
How long to beat the story | 5 hours
How long to achieve 1000G | 10 hours
You’ll love this game if you like these | Doom, Quake but with a non-violence touch.
Fashion Police Squad is a very original FPS concept, it was really fun to play and fix the fashion crimes. There are a few shortcomings with weapon selection and the repetitive visuals but I had a good time finishing it.
Please consider supporting us!
Founder | Editor-in-chief | Social Media Manager
Gaming is a passion and I wanted to share my Xbox enthusiasm. That’s why I started LifeisXbox, to make sure gamers all around the world know what games they should buy or avoid. I would like to thank you for visiting my website. Your support is very welcome and I hope you stick around!