We have a few arcade combat racing games on Xbox One now, Super Toy Cars is joining that line-up and brings some unique racing tracks. Let’s see if it finishes with a top spot or ends up as the last place in the race.
– Racing on a watermelon
As a racing game, realistic or arcade, you need to have a decent feel on the road and Super Toy Cars fails with that miserably. The game’s physics cause a lot of frustrating moments, you get stuck on the road for absolutely no reason, respawn again after a good jump or don’t respawn when needed. Even thinking about it makes my stomach turn. Already released on other platform you would think that Super Toy cars is a finished product, the reality is that the game is full with bugs and rushed game mechanics. Combine that with imprecise controls, unbalanced difficulty and framerate issues… that’s a lot of negative. On the positive side, the game visuals are very simple but the environments are pretty cool. For example, it has to be the first time that I drifted on a watermelon! You also have 16 different toycars and 48 events in career with 5 different event types. Overall, I just can’t recommend this game even though I know that the (friendly) developer could use the support.
- 16 different cars
- Good (but repetitive) soundtrack
- Interesting race tracks with huge toys and fruit
- Fun game to play, but bugs and the physics engine removes the fun pretty fast.
- Some visual bugs, for example: cars go through objects .
- Framerate drops in a racing game are double annoying.
- The drift controls are confusing and inaccurate